Forty-nine people have been killed and at least 20 others injured as gunmen attacked two mosques in New Zealand.
The gunmen were reported to have opened indiscriminate fire at worshippers, including women and children, who had gathered for Friday prayers, Al Jazeera reports.
New Zealand’s Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern addressing a news conference described the attack as the worst in the Pacific country’s history.”
“The mosque shootings appeared to be a well-planned terrorist attack
“This is, and will be, one of New Zealand’s darkest days,” Ardern said.
The prime minister also said two explosive devices attached to the suspect’s vehicles were found and were disarmed.
Also speaking, New Zealand’s Police Commissioner, Mike Bush told reporters that the attack was a “very well-planned event”.
“ 41 people died at one mosque, seven at another and one person died in hospital
“Four suspects, including a woman, were apprehended in connection with the attacks. One of the arrested men had been charged with murder.”