An Indian woman has died from suffocation after being buried under cow dung by a snake charmer in the bid to heal her from a snake bite she had earlier suffered.
The victim, identified as Devendri, was collecting wood to burn for cooking at her home in rural India when she was bitten on the hand by a snake.
The 35-year-old ran home to tell her husband, Mukesh, who decided to call the local snake charmer.
The desperate husband agreed to allow snake charmer Murarey to bury the mother-of-five in manure, as he suggested it would suck out the poison. But it all ended in disaster as the woman eventually lost her life as a result of asphyxiation.
People gathered outside the house, in Bulandshahr, Uttar Pradesh, and watched as Mukesh completely buried Devendri in cow dung while chanting mantras.
After 75 minutes, Devendri had died from suffocation.
Husband Mukesh said:
“My wife went out to get fire wood and when she was collecting the wood a snake bit her.
“We tried some medicines, a grinded powder, and tied a rope around her arm. But the snake charmer advised us to cover her in cow dung, so we did.
“The snake charmer was confident he could help. We left her in the cow dung for 75 minutes.
“I never thought she would die, I really thought she’d survive, and it’d work. I never thought this would happen.”
Snake charmer Murarey said:
“I’m known in this area to treat animal bites. I think the snake was a cobra. And yes, she died because she was buried.”
Mukesh is now left to raise five children alone. He is completely baffled the burial method did not work on saving his wife.
“The gods give and they take. Maybe she was not destined to survive the bite” He reportedly said